George W. Bauer owned a saloon or restaurant on either 7th Street or M Street SW from 1872-1902. A close-up of the photo shows two Heurich Lager signs on the front of the building. Most of the men outside are African-American; that area of Washington was a working class, industrial area in the late 19th century and a center for the city’s black population. The street sign in front of the building appears to read “Water Street SW” and “M Street SW.” Photo taken between 1918 and 1920.
George Bauer Saloonr2WPadmin2018-08-07T22:38:40+00:00