In 1867, brothers Otto, Gustav, and Edward Mallinckrodt formed G. Mallinckrodt & Co. and erected the first company buildings on their family farm in St. Louis. The farm was owned by their father, Emil Mallinckrodt, a first-generation German immigrant from Westphalia. This illustration shows the company buildings in 1868, the following year.
The illustration was published in Chemical Pioneers: The Founders of the American Chemical Industry, by Williams Haynes. New York: D. Van Nostrand Company, Inc. 1939. According to Haynes, the original buildings were “the oblong stone factory and the adjoining wooden shed in the rear.”