Founded in 1857, the Hoboken Deutscher Club was one of the city’s premier social organizations. Its members included Dr. Hans Kudlich, an Austrian who had been a leader in the Vienna Parliament during the Revolution of 1848, Carl Christian Schurz, a Civil War general and U.S. Senator from Missouri, and William Steinway of Steinway & Sons piano company of New York. Keuffel joined this exclusive club in 1869, and Hermann Esser sat on the club’s board of trustees in the mid-1880s. Keuffel’s funeral was held at the Deutscher Club, which was located at 600 Hudson Street, one block from the Keuffel family’s home.
Deutscher Club (German Club) at the northwest corner of 6th & Hudson Sts., Hoboken, NJ, ca. 1860sr2WPadmin2018-08-07T23:50:26+00:00