Illustration of the Mallinckrodt Chemical Works, 1868

Description

In 1867, brothers Otto, Gustav, and Edward Mallinckrodt formed G. Mallinckrodt & Co. and erected the first company buildings on their family farm in St. Louis. The farm was owned by their father, Emil Mallinckrodt, a first-generation German immigrant from Westphalia. This illustration shows the company buildings in 1868, the following year. 

The illustration was published in Chemical Pioneers: The Founders of the American Chemical Industry, by Williams Haynes. New York: D. Van Nostrand Company, Inc. 1939. According to Haynes, the original buildings were “the oblong stone factory and the adjoining wooden shed in the rear.”

 

Source and Copyright

Medium Illustration
Source Hathi Trust Digital Library
Copyright Public Domain
Disclaimer Courtesy of Hathi Trust Digital Library