John Ringling’s residence in Sarasota, Florida, 1931

Description

In the 1920s, John Ringling joined the land boom in Florida and began developing land on the Sarasota Keys, with the intention of transforming Sarasota into a fashionable resort. In 1924, he began construction on a palatial Mediterranean revival mansion in Sarasota; it was called “Ca’ d’Zan,” which means “House of John” in Venetian dialect.

Source and Copyright

Creator Samuel H. Gottscho
Medium Black and White Photograph
Source Library of Congress
Number LC-G612-T01-15252
Copyright Public Domain
Disclaimer Courtesy of the Library of Congress