- Cohen, Naomi. Encounter with Emancipation: The German Jews in the United States, 1830-1914. . Philadelphia, PA: Jewish Publication Society, 1984.
- Cross, Ira B. Financing and Empire, History of Banking in California. . Chicago: S.J. Clark Publishing, 1927.
- Dinkelspiel, Frances. Towers of Gold, How One Jewish Immigrant Named Isaias Hellman Created California. . New York: St. Martin’s Press, 2008.
- Kobrin, Rebecca, ed. Chosen Capital: The Jewish Encounter with American Capitalism. . New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press, 2012.
- Sarna, Jonathan D. (ed.). The American Jewish Experience. . New York: Holmes & Meier 1997.
- The Diary of Isaias W. Hellman - 1911, Part 1Western States Jewish History22.1 (October 1989)
- The Diary of Isaias W. Hellman - 1911, Part IIWestern States Jewish History22.2 (January 1990)
- The Diary of Isaias W. Hellman - 1915, Part IWestern Jewish History23.1 (October 1990)
- The Diary of Isaias W. Hellman - 1915, Part IIWestern States Jewish History23.2 (January 1991)