- Coclanis, Peter A. The Shadow of a Dream: Economic Life and Death in the South Carolina Low Country, 1670-1920. . New York: Oxford University Press, 1989.
- Doyle, Don Harrison. New Men, New Cities, New South: Atlanta, Nashville, Charleston, Mobile, 1860-1910. . Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 1990.
- Strickland, Jeff. How the Germans Became White Southerners: German Immigrants and African Americans in Charleston, South Carolina, 1860-1880. Journal of American Ethnic History. 28.1 (2008): 52-69.
- Faust, Albert Bernhardt. The German Eement in the United States with Special reference to its Political, Moral, Social, and Educational Influence. . Boston: Houghton Mifflin Co, 1909.
- Williamson, Joel. After Slavery; the Negro in South Carolina during Reconstruction, 1861-1877. . Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 1965.
- Southern Investment Company records, 1891-1909(1179.02.14) South Carolina Historical Society
- F.W. Wagener Company records, 1892-1920(152.06.32) South Carolina Historical Society