Cover of <em>Meyer Brothers Druggist</em>
By the early 1850s, roughly half of the pharmacies and twenty percent of the wholesale drug companies in St. Louis were run by ethnic Germans. By the turn of the twentieth century, Meyer Brothers Drug Company, which was owned by German-Americans, emerged as a major industry leader.
This image appeared on the cover of the January 1918 issue of Meyer Brothers Druggist (volume 39, number 1). The illustration suggests the importance of the city of St. Louis in the national, and even international, pharmaceutical industry.