Sign Post at the Entrance of the Gruen Guild Workshops (1926)

In 1913, the Gruens purchased land in Cincinnati for a new factory building, which they named “Time Hill.” It was completed in 1917. Although technically a factory, Time Hill was envisioned more as a workshop. By emphasizing careful, individual handwork, as opposed to large-scale machine production, the Gruens strove to link their brand to guild precedents and established traditions of European craftsmanship. From: Gruen Standardized Parts for the Trade, Catalogue B, 1926.